Throughout the past week we have been producing a front cover and a contents page for our college magazine using PhotoShop and InDesing. I have used a picture that I took using my Iphone and i have edit it using Photoshop. I used the crop tool and cropped what I didn't want which was the official cover of the picture that were computers and chairs. The image i used for my front cover is a medium close-up, this shot type is used very frequently in magazines. I have tried to use a colour scheme of only 3 colours, these are; blue, yellow and white. This is because it fits with the colour scheme of the college's logo. I have used things such as the Instagram logo and Twitter logo, these can also be found on real magazines. I did this because i wanted it to look more convincing since it can attract a lot of teenage/young adult readers. I used a barcode as it is vital to use one in a magazine.
The things that I thought went well in my college magazine was the use of images and the font of the text as it is clear and easy to read. However, as i ran out of time to complete the contents page to make it look more professional, i didn't really have a lot of ideas as i was rushing and stressing so i just quickly designed the first thing that came to my head. Throughout the process of making my front cover and contents page, I reminded myself of the tools within PhotoShop since I already have a little knowledge on this editing software. This is very useful because it helps me get used the tools and hopefully help me get used to every tool .
For next time, when I create a contents page I will use one big image and other small images to give it more of a professional and attractive look so its less simple and more unique. I would include more contents page conventions such as; adding the number page underneath the images, highlighting one important event which may attract the audiences attention faster and helps them engage towards the article. Overall I think that my contents page looks presentable and neat which makes it easier for the readers to navigate themselves, also the context such as the writing was good and the display of the page numbers, still using the colour scheme even thought the tone of the colour blue are not the same but this is because i rushed it and didn't have enough time to find the right tone, this therefore means that i need to work on using my time wisely and organising everything in a more professional manner.
For my front cover, when creating a front cover for a magazine I would use an image where the cover star id looking directly at the audience so that you can see their facial expression, this is seen a lot in magazines. However, in my opinion i think that the colours i used for the coverless and the masthead are quite good because as I said earlier on in fits in with the colour scheme of the college's logo.
College magazine does have a sense of house style with fonts and colours and appropriate images. There is a lot of dead space on both pages and considering fonts and layout would help. Your evaluation does include goals to help you for your music magazine, try to be specific with detail such as the tools you can use and what areas of Photoshop and Indesign you might want to work on.
ReplyDeleteAmy